Ph.D. in Biology, Tufts University
B.S. in Biology, Minor in Chemistry, Hobart Collage
Professional Background in Stress Physiology
Currently Studies the effects of Chronic Stress on behavior and Physiology in his lab.
Ben Nephew - I started running track and XC in high school, and although I finally made it to the state XC meet my senior year, my PR’s in track were only 4:50 and 10:40. I made progress throughout my college XC career at Hobart College, getting my 8k PR under 27 minutes, but most importantly I learned how to train smart and make running a long-term endeavor from my coach, Ron Fleury.
I was fortunate to attend graduate school in the Boston area, and soon joined the Greater Boston Track Club. With GBTC and the New England road racing scene, I was exposed to another level of competition. My road times improved steadily, running 25:50 for 8k and 1:11 for the half marathon, but I also discovered that I was much more competitive on the trails than on the roads, where I won the Western Mass Athletic Club trail series 9 times between 1999-2009. I was active on both surfaces from 1998-2003, when I started racing ultras after joining the Central Massachusetts Striders.
My first road 50k was a 3:14 in 2003, and my first 50 miler was a 6:18 for 4th place at JFK. My PR’s are now 3:10 and 5:47. I was the USATF National Trail Marathon Champion in 2006, and I’ve won a few other USATF medals at the road and trail 50k championships. I’ve been selected to the US team for the IAU Road 50k Championship twice, and I’m a three time member of the IAU Trail Championship team where I was 6th in 2011. The past four years I’ve been attempting Fastest Known Times, and some of my current FKT’s include the Devil’s Path in the Catskills and the Pemi Loop and Presidential Traverse in the White Mountains.
My professional background is in stress physiology, and I study the effects of chronic stress on behavior and physiology in my lab. This research focus has benefitted my running, and I’ve also studied training and racing physiology informally for the past 15 years. I’m excited for this years MPF RNR Trail Running Team, and I look forward to helping others establish healthy training plans to maximize both enjoyment and performance.
Ben's Articles, Race Reports & Adventures
More Race & Adventure Reports!
- Cats Tail Trail Marathon "Incident Report, Blood on the Trails"
- The Escarpment Trail Run "The 40th Running of the Mountain Goats"
- Documenting the Presidential Traverse
- Cayuga Trails 50 "On Being Social"
- Breakneck Point Trail Marathon "On Being a Coxswain"
- A Piece of the Long Trail with Brian Rusiecki
- Mt Tammany 10 "Better Late Then Never"
- Cat's Tail Trail Marathon, New York
- Ellenville Mountain Marathon, New York
- Escarpment Trail Run, New York
- Whiteface Sky Running Weekend, New York
- Cayuga Trails 50 Miler, Ithaca, New York
- Trail2Trail Kettletown 50k, Connecticut
- Rock The Ridge 50 Miler, New York
- Breakneck Point Trail Run "An Amercian Revolution"
- Ben with the 12th Fastest 50 Miler in 2014!
- The Snowdon Mountain run in the UK
- Escarpment Trail Run "Ben's last win or is he just getting started..."
- Snowdon Mountain Race
- Mount Osceola Expedition "Kids at Play"
- Blue Hills Skyline Trail Race Report
- Manitou's Revenge 54 Mile Ultra Race Report
- Rock the Ridge 50 Mile Race Report
- Snowshoeing, Racing & Family Time "2 Races and the Little Things..."
- Winter Wild Waschusett Race Report "I Don't Need No Stinking Microspikes"
- 2013 Spartan Ultra Beast World Championships in Vermont "Ultra Obstacle"
- The Wapack 18 Mile Trail Race NH/MA
- 2013 IAU Trail World Championships Race Report
- 2013 IAU Trail World Championships Preview
- Article - Racing Hard to the Finish
- Article - No Need For Speed
- Article - (Trail) Ultrarunner of the Year?
+ Fastest Known Times (FKT)
- 2017 Swan Song Loop, White Mountains, NH
- 2017 Taconic Rim, Mass & New York
- 2016 The Bamforth Ridge, Vermont
- 2016 Carrigain Loop, White Mountains, NH
- 2016 Presidential Traverse, White Mountains, NH
- 2016 Suffern Bear Mountain Trail FKT, New York
- 2015 Devil’s Path FKT, New York
- 2015 Kinsman Ridge FKT New Hampshire
- 2015 Passaconaway Loop FKT New Hampshire
- 2015 Pemi Loop FKT New Hampshire
- 2015 Carter Moriah Range FKT New Hampshire
- 2015 Pachaug Trail FKT Eastern Connecticut
- 2014 Tripyramid Loop FKT New Hampshire
- 2014 Mahoosuc Traverse FKT by Ben Nephew with Ryan Welts
- 2014 Breakneck Ridge of New York FKT
- 2014 Narragansett Trail FKT Report
- 2014 Blue Hills Skyline Trail FKT & Race Shoe Selection
- 2014 FKT on the Slide Mountain Wilderness Loop, New York
- 2013 Presidential Traverse New Hampshire
- 2013 Pitchoff Double Traverse FKT
- Article - Fastest Known Times vs Races