This page is for the NCBP Group Strength & Conditioning classes. Here you will find workouts, exercise videos and information that we have discussed during our training sessions. If you have any questions you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please feel free to explore our website for more information on Training Articles, Exercise Highlights, Race Reports, etc.
Stability 1 Workout:
Complete 1 - 2x's each week
Goal is to gain strength and stability of the bodies joints to better prepare them for the training ahead. You can complete the workout in a circuit training fashion by moving from one exercise immediately to the next and repeat until all sets are finished.
- Walk, Jog, Bike or Precor for 10-20 minutes
- Quadruped Opposite Arm Leg Extensions (video) - From all fours on the floor, keep stomach tight & watch for arching of lower back
3 sets 10 reps ea. side
- Medicine Ball Chop & Reach Circuit (video) - Slight bend in knees when chopping, watch for excessive arching of the low back when arms are straight over head.
3 sets 15 chops, 10 alt. reaches to the front & side
- Straight Arm Plank (video) - Arms are fully extended inline with shoulders, keep head & neck neutral and stomach drawn inward. If you feel low back strain, stop & rest, then continue. Can be done from knees.
3 sets 30-60 seconds
- Inverted Pull-up or Cable Pulldown - Using the handles hanging from the ceiling, pull leading with the chest, keeping spine and head neutral. Use the cable machine with it's arms fully extended up and pulldown alternating.
3 sets 5 - 20 reps
- Bodyweight Squats (video) - Feet inline with hips or slightly outside. Keep feet flat on the floor, sitting the butt back when squatting.
3 sets 15 - 50 reps
- Floor Shoulder Y's (video) - Laying flat on your stomach, head just off the floor and spine neutral. Arms must be locked out for each movement and be sure not to elevate shoulders toward ears, goal is to keep them back as you complete each rep.
2 sets 10-15 reps each
- Single Leg 1 Arm Reach (video) - Balance on 1 leg, reach with the opposite arm 2 feet in front while slightly bending the knee of the balanced leg.
2 - 3 sets 6-15 reps
- Walk, Jog, or Bike for 10-40 minutes.
Bike, Run, Precor or Row for 20-60 minutes 2-4 x's each week.
This can be accomplished 1st thing in the morning, during your lunch break or spread out in 10 minute bouts throughout the day. The goal is to be consistent each week and knowing that even 10 minutes of high intensity work can offer significant benefits.
Until you get in a good rhythm for a couple of weeks with your training, keep your exercise intensity down around an RPE of 2 - 5 on a 1 - 10 scale, with 1 = extremely easy and 10 all out effort. Click here for more information on RPE (Rating Perceived Exertion).
Shoulder External Rotations:
3 sets of 8 - 20 reps. Each rep is slow and controlled. Use a light weight 2 - 5 lbs or easy band.
For those who have shoulder, elbow, neck or wrist issues complete any of the exercise choices in the video 2 - 3x's each week. This should be done on its own or at the end of a workout so not to fatigue the rotator cuff of the shoulder joint before a workout. You can and should do 1 light set before each workout to activate the area and bring blood to the area to better prepare it for the workout.